After you leave your hairdresser, it is essential not to wash your hair in the next 24 hours. Otherwise, you will ruin your perm immediately. You could get them wet a little, but you should absolutely avoid shampoos, masks, and any type of brushing.
Will my perm get curlier?
As we said, DON’T wash your hair in the first 24 hours after getting a perm. So we will answer this question as “Will my perm get curlier if I wash it after 24 hours”?
Sometimes the hair will become curlier after washing it, but more important is using the right shampoo and conditioner (designed for chemically treated hair) and then drying it the right way. Below we explain to you how you do this.
Proper care and of your perm will make it curlier and makes the perm last longer.
Washing your hair
Try to avoid washing your hair as long as possible, so the perm can really set well. If you can wait for 48 hours, please do it! You can use a little bit of dry shampoo in the roots of your hair if it becomes too oily. Washing your hair too soon can cause frizzy and/or wavy hair.
Wash your hair with a shampoo and use a conditioner. Both should be designed for chemically treated hair so there aren’t any harsh ingrediënts in it that will harm the perm.
Distribute the shampoo over your hair and gently massage it into your scalp. Apply the shampoo on the hair in a gentle, rotating way, where you follow the form of the curl.
Coat all your hair with the conditioner. Focus mainly on the tips. Let the conditioner sit for 10-15 minutes before washing it out.
What to do after the washing
- During drying, always, and only, use a diffuser. Or better yet, let the hair dry in the open air whenever the weather permits.
- Wrinkle your hair with your hands. It may seem like a trivial gesture, but it allows you to give volume to the hair and to create full-bodied and harmonious locks.
- Dry your hair from below, so the curls can naturally bounce back in their form. Don’t pull and thug the hair.
- Avoid the use of hairspray. With the perm, it is not necessary. In the long run, it only ruins the scalp.
- Don’t brush your hair after washing it. You’ll get tempted to comb your hair to detangle the curls, but it will do more harm than good.
- Don’t dry your hair by rubbing a towel through it. Gently place your hair on the towel and squeeze the hair.
How to keep your perm curly
- With a perm, curly hair weakens because it is a treatment that changes the structure of the hair. Washing the hair stresses it even more. You have to use the right products to prevent curls from turning into a frizzy and stringy hair.
- A conditioner is a necessary product for the care of the perm. Otherwise, the hair shafts that have undergone an aggressive treatment risk to break.
- Every morning, comb your hair gently, using a comb with very wide teeth to not ruin the curls. Even better than that, use only your fingers. Don’t forget to apply an anti-frizz product that supports the volume and shape of the curls. Do not comb them during the day, but only place them with your fingers.
- Once a week, apply a moisturizing mask. Those with Macadamia oil or Maroccan oil are among the best for hair care after a perm hairstyle. Do not use an excessive amount of product when applying the mask or it will weigh down the hair.
- Use the right products on your hair, products for curled hair.
Many factors condition the holding of a perm over time. The main ones are the type of perm you have requested, the products you use, and how you wash your hair.
The purpose of the perms is to create more or less definite curls, or simply a perception of movement, both lasting for months. It is a useful technique, although now less and less widespread.
On a healthy and natural hair, a perm will not have a negative impact. However, you should use suitable products to take care of your hair. In this case, it is specific shampoos and masks for curly hair to keep the hair fiber as long as possible for a rounded appearance.